This week we’re taking our first look at settings: the advantages of drip feeding, the debate on ‘purple prose’ and the ways we can use setting to tell story.
- Monday – Drowning in Detail, What a character describes can say a lot about them.
- Tuesday – Who Beat Up Your Prose? Considering the difference between description and purple prose.
- Wednesday – Hiding Detail Within Detail, Using descriptive sleight of hand.
- Thursday – Character Through Setting, What can a setting tell us about the characters that live there?
- Friday – The Setting is a Stage, Your setting is a stage move your characters around it.
- Saturday – A Matching Pair, Mrs Stapleton speaks her mind and Charlotte gets new perspective on herself. (Final episode of 1839, next week begins 1840)